CalledToServe

CalledToServe

Monday, September 8, 2014

How Old is Your Testimony . . . week 20

Hello! Hello!!

This week was an absolutely amazing week! I don't think that I could ever get sick of being a missionary. It is so exciting, each and every day is amazing. This past week was exceptional. God truly is aware of His missionaries. The Lord really does prepare people for His missionaries to teach and it is such an exciting and humbling moment to be a part of this. We started teaching two different families this week. Both are progressing very well. I wanted to just talk a little bit about one of the families. They are in such humble circumstances right now; the dad left them 7 years ago, she doesn't have work, and they are at risk of losing their house right now. Even though all of this is going on in their lives right now, they are putting God first. They are changing, they are becoming happier. Me and my companion can literally see them change; and it is because they are reading the Book of Mormon. There is an unexplained power and happiness that comes from the pages of that Book. One can't adequately describe it, but all can experience it. 
A walk to the lake on p-day for lunch

Some highlights from this week: 

Tuesday was Motra Russell's 22nd birthday! It was such a fun day!! We went to a member's house that night and they threw a mini surprise party for her!! She was so happy!!

I also learned how to make buttermilk. No, you don't just put butter in some milk and call it buttermilk...i tried that. haha, just joking. I almost did. But, you put a couple tablespoons of vinegar in milk to make buttermilk. Who woulda thunked that? It baffled my mind. I successfully made my chocolate cake on Tuesday, and the members liked it and Motra did too. So, #score.  

Brother Vance in the MTC always told these stories about the qofte here... so I have been a little apprehensive to try it. BUT, on Tuesday I had qofte for the first time. It was soo good!!! I also had Kiwi for the very first time on Tuesday as well!! SO GOOD! 

I wore a cardigan for the very first time since the MTC. It felt soo good!! The weather has gotten colder and I love it!! 


HAHA!!! Funny story. So, yesterday we were having dinner at a member's house with the Elders. So, we had a lesson out in Kombinat (45ish minutes away from Tirana). And the member's lived in Tirana. Long story short we were late. Like way late because the lesson went over. So, after we got on the bus to go to the member's house we accidentally got off two bus stops early. Well, this bus only comes along every 15ish minutes. So, we decided to walk it, haha just joking, we ran! It took us 5-10 minutes to get to where we were going to meet the Elders. Once we met with the Elders we started walking to the member's house. But, it started to rain. So, we showed up to the member's house and we were "wet". They brought out a towel for us to wipe down our faces, I was embarassed. Because i wasn't really wet from rain it was sweat...but they don't need to know that, right? ;) haha, jk. but honestly. haha! 

I have been thinking a lot lately about the concept of conversion. I thinking being converted to the gospel should be our goal. Elder Bednar said "testimonies aren't enough. If you are converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ you will never fall away." Testimonies are great, because that is the beginning process of becoming converted. I think that testimonies are our foundation. Because when life gets hard, and adversary or Satan hits you down, your testimony is what catches you. The first time that I really considered my level of conversion was when my seminary teacher, Brother Skidmore asked us "How old is your testimony." Of course, this answer is different for everyone, and I think that it is such a great question to ask ourselves. I think that that is a great way to see where we are. Whenever we meet someone who was a "convert" to the church, we always ask them what their conversion
Motra Z's companion, Motra Russell
story is. But, I think that we could ask that question to every person that goes to church. If during a sacrament meeting for a talk, the speaker said "if you are a convert, please raise your hand." My hope would be that every single hand in the congregation (of those who have been baptized) would go up. We all need to be converted to this gospel or at least have started on our conversion process. That is what "Enduring to the end" is. Conversion I don't think is ever something that we reach and then it's done. This church is a church of continuinally progressing, becoming more like our Savoir, Jesus Christ and that is the same as conversion. It is a continual process and it is such an amazing process. 

I know that this church is true! Jesus Christ really is our Savoir and Redeemer and it is only through Him that we will be able to do anything. I know that our Heavenly Father loves and knows each of us individually. I know that this is true and I am so grateful for the chance that I have to share my testimony each and everyday! 


Have a wonderful week!! Smile lots and serve lots! 

Motra Z being silly with her crazy eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment

contemplation

contemplation